Friday, November 30, 2018

Hard Working Athletes with Phones


Old Spice was the first deodorant I used as a kid. I hadn’t thought of that for a long while. But the memories sprang right back when I came across this 70's ad while cleaning up.



Back then, I didn’t know what hard work was. But 1957 Joe Collins knew. 


This is the oldest Athlete with a Phone baseball card (it sure looks like a phone next to him). Joe was in his 10th year with the Yankees and had earned 6 World Series rings. He was a hard working guy... maybe he wore Old Spice.


Joe spent his entire career with the Yankees. His teammates included DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.

·       Card facts: This card is in a Topps set that was a bit revolutionary. The first with full color photographs of the players (not colorized), the players' full career stats were listed on the back, and the cards had the standard dimensions we're used to (2.5" x 3.5")
·       Current Availability: common but not cheap (especially for a card in nicer condition)

5 comments:

  1. I don't like the Yankees... but that's a great looking card. Love the dugout steps with the bat portrait. The phone in the background (which I never would have noticed) is the icing on the cake. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Lol. I still use Old Spice.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you Fuji, I like the perfect blend of phone, dugout, bats, and Joe on the cusp of action.

      Next time shopping, I'll check out the Old Spice :-)

      Delete
  2. oh, cool! i did NOT know dugout phones counted. I'll be on the lookout for these. I love everything about this card. It's old, the dugout shot, those bats and am pretty sure he didn't smell quite so spicy...maybe ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie, yeah dugout phones definitely count! I'm planning a post to outline the "rules" of which phones are in and which are out.

      Spicy :-)

      Delete