Saturday, July 21, 2018

Hello


As far back as I can remember, I’d answer the phone with Hello.

That word started the conversation. And this post will start an ongoing chat about cards of athletes with phones.

This the first card (that know of) in this oddball category: a 1976 Topps Don Strock rookie football card...


He's holding a run-of-the-mill phone from the 1970s. These were everywhere. And your color choice didn’t include Space Gray. It was Avocado. Harvest Gold. Or maybe Poppy Red like Don’s phone.

I can’t even remember the last time I saw or used that kind of phone. Maybe I’ll need to track down a new, old style phone.

Since the card doesn’t have a full shot of the phone, here’s a 1973 ad that does. 


There’s a Lee Majors looking guy calling the Amazon.com of the 1970’s. So I could talk to a real person, tell them what I want (without hunting it down on a web page), and get it delivered in hours? Sold!


I’ll have the Avocado colored blender. That’s, let’s see… $183 in today’s dollars – must be a good one. They don’t make them like they used to. I’ll add a 1975 push button telephone to that order. What could be nicer? Only that shag carpet.

Parts of the premise were more advanced than the online shopping of today. But we’re all in the future now, so we know GiftAmerica didn’t pan out and most of us will have to wait for delivery within hours.


Let’s wind this down with the back of Don’s card that includes a very groovy 70s orange color.



Don was with the Dolphins since 1973 during their prime: back-to-back Super Bowls in ’72 and ’73. But he didn’t really get started as a Quarterback until 1975. He was a backup QB due to tough competition from Bob Griese and Dan Marino. Later Don would be a key player in The Epic in Miami game, and he was on the other end of the line as the QB coach for the Ravens from 1996 to 98. 

The card design is a winner. I like the simplicity and football team name graphic. 

But the photo makes me wonder… did his coach say Hello? They probably just got to the point. There’s a game to play.


  • Card facts: only one of five cards spanning Don’s career from 1976 to 1988
  • Current Availability: very common (with a good selection throughout comc, eBay, SportLots)

5 comments:

  1. I miss my avocado colored corded phones. Heck... I even miss seeing pay phones all around the city. Any cards with one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this blog and got a big chuckle out of it. Once upon a time I collected cards of players using the phone and other communication devices. . It was really my first niche collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuji - we had a Harvest Gold phone growing up that matched the appliances, I miss it too. I've seen one card with a pay phone booth, a 1975 Topps Bay City Rollers. The intersection between 1975 and phone interested me. But since it wasn't an athlete with a phone I was able to talk myself out of it. And eventually it sold so that problem went away. COMC still has one in poor shape, but if I found one at a card show in a dime or quarter box I'd likely buy it.

    Commish - then part of my mission (to spread chuckles throughout the world) is on target :-) I thought about extending this oddball collection to include other communication devices. But that would've been way more than I could handle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve - i have that BCR card! Before reading your Lee Majors comment, I thought 'oh that's Lee Majors'. A definite look-alike. I don't recall what our phone looked like in the early 70s but do remember the number 681-8180. I can't remember squat these days but that sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julie, funny what gets stuck in our heads. That BCR card is a great oddball find! I wonder how popular they were - I never collected them but do still have some Mork & Mindy cards.

    ReplyDelete